Pumpkin gnocchi and spinach with sage brown butter sauce is a hearty vegetarian meal full of flavor. You won't miss the meat!
Welcome to the #SundaySupper Recipes for World Vegetarian Day event, hosted by Susan from The Wimpy Vegetarian.
We are a meat-eating household here at The Redhead Baker, but we occasionally eat meatless meals. It's a way to save money, it can be healthier (depending on the recipe), and it doesn't have to be a boring pasta dish.
I chose to base my dish on gnocchi. Gnocchi are Italian dumplings, traditionally made with potatoes, flour, egg, and a few other ingredients. There are many variations, as you can include things like cheese or herbs, or even substitute other starchy vegetables for the potatoes. The version I used in this dish is made with pumpkin.
Gnocchi can be very time-consuming to make from scratch, and if you have that time, more power to you. I linked to a recipe for pumpkin gnocchi down in the list of ingredients. If you're short on time, I found pre-made pumpkin gnocchi at my local Whole Foods. You can use traditional gnocchi if you can't find pumpkin.
Keep a very close eye on the butter while it's browning. It will seem like it's taking forever, but once it starts to turn golden, it will progress to burnt very quickly, and you'll have to start all over again. Keep a heat-proof glass measuring cup near the stove top so you can quickly transfer your browned butter to the cup. The butter will continue cooking in the hot saucepan even after it's removed from the heat, and transferring it to the measuring cup will slow that process.
It might not sound like a substantial meal, but the fiber in the pumpkin and the spinach will keep you feeling full. I like to make a double batch of this recipe, so that I have leftovers to bring to work for lunch the next day!
[mv_create key="227" title="Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce #SundaySupper" thumbnail="https://www.theredheadbaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/pumpkin-gnocchi-spinach-sage-brown-butter-sauce-feature.jpg" type="recipe"]
Recipe by The Redhead Baker
Discover more #SundaySupper Meatless Recipes for World Vegetarian Day!
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Butternut Squash Zoodles with Fried Sage Sauce by Home Sweet Homestead
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind "Full"Mom
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry