Comfort food with a fall twist — pumpkin cinnamon raisin bread is studded with raisins with a swirl of cinnamon, butter and brown sugar.
Welcome to Day 4 of #PumpkinWeek, hosted by Terri of Love and Confections! After you check out my pumpkin cinnamon raisin bread, don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of the post for links to more pumpkin-filled recipes by other bloggers.
Comfort food means different things to different people. For some, it's a big dish of mac and cheese. For others, it's a warm bowl of soup. For me, it's bread. Even better, cinnamon raisin bread, toasted, with butter.
On a chilly fall night, while some might curl up with a mug of hot chocolate, I make myself some toast. I can't explain why it's comforting. For me, it just is.
This bread is flavored with pumpkin and the usual complementary spices of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. As a shortcut, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice mix, if you have it on hand. Raisins are kneaded right into the bread dough.
Then there's the delicious cinnamon sugar swirl. Cinnamon and yeast do not get along. That is the reason for using a full tablespoonful of yeast rather than the standard package size of 2 ¼ teaspoons, and for adding the remaining cinnamon in the swirl instead of straight into the bread dough.
As I mentioned in Tuesday's cinnamon rolls recipe post, there's no need to be intimidated by yeast. Get yourself a food thermometer to temp your liquid to ensure it's not too hot or too cold, and get tips in that post to learn how to tell when your dough is properly kneaded.
This bread makes delicious toast with a light smear of butter or cream cheese. Double the recipe to make one loaf to keep and one to give away. Wrap it up in a food-safe plastic bag tied with baker's twine and give as a hostess gift on Thanksgiving.
[mv_create key="232" title="Pumpkin Cinnamon Raisin Bread #PumpkinWeek" thumbnail="https://www.theredheadbaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/pumpkin-cinnamon-raisin-bread-feature.jpg" type="recipe"]
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
Discover more #PumpkinWeek recipes!
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Mug Cake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Family Favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread from Cooking With Carlee
- No-Churn Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream from Love and Confections
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Raisin Bread from The Redhead Baker (see recipe above!)
- Pumpkin Coconut Curry with Chicken from Making Miracles
- Pumpkin Donuts from Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Empanadas from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Magic Bars from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Seed Brittle from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Sopa de Abobora from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links.